Looking for a protein powder shake to add to your keto meal plan?
The reason that the ketogenic diet is taking the world by storm is because – it works!
This high fat, low carb diet puts your body into ketosis, meaning your liver creates ketones that your body uses for fuel. Ketones burn your body fat as fuel for energy, instead of using glucose as the fuel. This is the best, most effective, way to lose weight and gain energy.
Some of the major benefits of a keto diet include:
- Weight loss
- Reduced Risk of Heart Disease
- Helps protect against cancer
- Fights Neurological Disorders
Protein powders are an easy way to feel full and provide a healthy source of protein while on the keto diet.
Keto protein powders do the hard work for you by calculating the correct fats, carbs and calories to keep yourself in ketosis. These shakes are the perfect choice when life gets busy and you don’t have time to chop vegetables, measure out fats, and stand over the stove all day.
But how do you know which protein powder is best for your keto diet when there are hundreds of choices? In this post, I am reviewing the top keto protein powders and will show you exactly what to look for when picking one out.
What to look for in your keto protein powder
There are hundreds of protein powders on the market, but most are not ideal for your keto diet.
It’s common to find sugars, fillers and dairy containing hormones in commercial protein powders. When searching protein powders for a keto diet it’s important to keep a few things in mind.
- Quality of the protein source (is the protein free of hormones, allergy free and easily digestible)?
- Sweeteners used (avoid sucralose, high fructose corn syrup and aspartame)
- Grams of protein per serving
The best protein powder for your keto diet – my picks
Perfect Keto Protein Powder- Pure Grass Fed Collagen and Peptides with MCT oil
This protein powder is sourced using grass-fed USA cattle, so you don’t have to worry about quality of ingredients.
Collagen has a full amino acid profile to build muscle quickly and this powder contains 10g of protein per serving. It is formulated with added MCT oil in each serving, to raise blood ketone levels which helps burn fat immediately.
- 5 grams of MCT oil per serving
- Sweetened with Stevia, which won’t knock you out of ketosis
- Flavored with 100% all natural cocoa powder
- Collagen protein won’t spike blood sugar
- Some users feel stevia can have an aftertaste
- Must mix to dissolve
- Only comes in 3 flavors
Overall, this protein powder is a clean high quality choice for anyone on their keto journey.
It’s a top pick if you want MCT oil added in with your protein and you care about quality of ingredients over taste (not that it tastes bad, though). You can find Perfect Keto Protein Powder on Amazon.
Ancient Nutrition KetoPROTEIN
This protein powder was formulated by Dr. Josh Axe and Jordan Ruban, New York Times Best Selling Author. It’s the only protein powder to incorporate Keto superfood organic bone broth oil and supplements into the mix, with key benefits such as mental clarity and metabolism.
Ashwagandha, reishi mushrooms, and other herbs have been added to help shift the bodies metabolism over to fat burning faster than traditional protein alone.
- Contains Keto superfood organic bone broth oil
- Can help curb your appetite for hours
- 15g of protein per serving
- Non GMO, gluten free, dairy free, soy free and grain free
- Contains caffeine which could be a problem for some people
- Some users complained of the texture being gritty
- In the higher price range
Ancient Nutrition’s keto protein powder is the perfect choice for someone wanting the added effects of metabolism-boosting supplements and brain-boosting oils added to their protein. This product was formulated to support the whole body and help you induce ketosis quickly and easily.
You can find Ancient Nutrition KetoPROTEIN on Amazon.
Ketologie Keto Protein Shake
This keto shake was created with taste in mind, and is perfect when you are craving something smooth, creamy, and delicious.
Users of this product use words like “smooth and buttery,” “best shake ever,” and “extremely delicious” in the reviews. Their mission at Ketologie is to give you a treat and a meal replacement shake all in one – they’ve definitely succeeded.
- Delicious and smooth chocolate taste
- 14g of protein per serving
- Blends easily without gritty texture
- Contains Coconut Oil Powder
- Slightly higher carb content
- Some users think it contains questionable ingredients
- Contains sugar alcohols as sweeteners (some like to avoid this, though they don’t generally count as carbs)
If you are looking for a keto shake that you will enjoy drinking every day, this is the one for you. Ketologie thrives on creating great tasting products for your keto journey.
You can find Ketologie Keto Protein Shake on Amazon.
My #1 Recommendation is Ancient Nutrition KetoPROTEIN, because it has the perfect balance of fats, carbs and supplements to not only keep you full longer but also support metabolism and brain health. While Keto is known for its weight loss effectiveness, this protein powder focuses on whole body health also.
No other protein powder contained bone broth oils to support thinking and mental clarity, all while maintaining high quality ingredients.
This protein powder is also non-GMO, dairy free, gluten free, soy free and grain free for those users with food allergies. If you haven’t added a protein powder to your keto diet, this is a great one to try!
Got a favorite? Leave it in the comments!